Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Maybe we shouldn't have named him Slim...

Warning: Gross cat story ahead…

Okay – don’t whine about it later, you’ve been warned. And don’t post anti-cat comments, if you don’t like or tolerate cats, I’m not in the mood to hear about it.

Slim is bulimic. You think that I’m joking, but I’m not. At least once a week, the nimrod will overeat then purge. Fortunately, it’s very hairball-like, so it’s not as bad as sick purging, but it’s still no fun. I’ve been giving him pills to help calm his stomach, but we can’t tell if it’s helping. He used to do it mostly in the middle of the night, and let me tell you, when you don’t have children, nothing brings you out of a sound sleep like a cat hacking someplace in your carpeted bedroom. I’ve begged him for months now to just step outside my bedroom door to the hardwoods, where it’s so much easier to clean, but nooooo. Of course, once I started with the pills, he quit hacking in my room and does it in Bdog’s room instead. Silly cat. I guess that he’s just trying to live up to his name.

3 comments:

Rodney Smiley said...

Awww - poor Slim. Actually, my ex-kitty Jake was subject to the same affliction. He would eat WAY TOO FAST and then it would all come back, in a most offensive display of retching and heaving.

I've found that if you give them smaller, really smaller, amounts of food, they have less of a reaction when they eat it fast. My vet told me it was due to a nervous condition (what? MY cat is nervous about something? I can't believe it ... I'm the most gentile and docile person ever to be around) and they eat fast so that they won't have to share with anyone (other kitties).

Good luck. You may just be stuck with a retching kitty.

MMH said...

Guess what Phoebe did today? Yep, she projectiled 2 seconds after walking away from the food bowl. She did do it before she got to the rug so she was very considerate of me on that one.

2.718 said...

Tagamet is on sale at Walgreens right now. Slim now has enough doses to get him through the next 140 days. Unless, of course, I start using them for me again...