Monday, April 03, 2006

Of Course...


Of course, I miss Mama's cooking the most, but a close second is the fact that she always made the decision about what to cook. I got excited today at lunchtime when I remembered that my leftovers from last Thursday were still in the breakroom fridge. Half the excitement was because I wasn't going to have to spend any money on lunch, the other half was because I didn't have to decide what to go get for lunch.

Of course, I miss MMH the most, but right now I'm missing those fresh eggs that the World's Best Girl Scout troop Leader always sent back up to ATL with her. I was lucky enough to happen upon www.foodroutes.org though the website of one of my favorite bluegrass bands www.adrienneyoung.com. Foodroutes will take your address and tell you where the closest farmers markets (real farmer's markets, typically outdoor affairs, with LOCAL food) are and when they sprout in your area. This was how I found www.rockfarm.us. They sell fresh eggs and I get mine from there every chance I get. Actually, the last time I bought eggs from them, Bdog got rather tickled when she heard me calling ahead to get my name on the waiting list for eggs. The waiting list was three days long at that point.

I've been working on getting the digital photos archived and organized, so I've been doing some reminiscing.

5 comments:

MMH said...

Oooh, I forgot about those eggs. Fresh ones definitely are the best. MTH just doesn't understand. There's a farmer's mkt starting up on 4/15 near my house. I'll have to buy some and show him the difference! I agree on the part about having to figure out what to eat. It's the hardest part. Mom sent me Cooking Light this year instead of Southern Living since it has more recipes. If you don't already get it, I highly recommend it. It has lots of great recipes that are quick. Ok, I'll stop now, this is the longest comment I've ever written and I need to get back to work :)

MMH said...

Me again. Just had to ask, who's the cute baby?

2.718 said...

I used to get Cooking Light, thanks to Basketball, but when I returned to school (and left boredom behind) my magazine pile just kept growing. So until I'm settled again no more fun magazines for me.

Goober (@ 3yrs) is holding our niece Mini Mouse (@ 6mos).

MMH said...

You know, I didn't pay attention to the fact that Goober is much older now. My age is showing.

Rodney Smiley said...

Lord I wish Ma Smiley had the ability to ship eggs - her chickens (I think she has four or five) are producing an average of six per day for her, and she's literally giving them away to anyone who asks.

Talk about fresh eggs - when I visit, I am always asked to go collect the eggs. A job I flatly refuse HOWEVER, I really do enjoy the delight on my Mother's face when she returns with a basket filled with eggs and exclaims - "This one's still warm! Just came out of the chicken!"

So if ever you're in B-town and find yourself in dire need of eggs, visit The Lazy S and you'll leave egg-laden.